Author Topic:  Rhubarb  (Read 796 times)

Offline shirl

• Starter
      • View Profile
Rhubarb
« on: July 17, 2015, 07:21:32 PM »
Hi Paul, this is my first year of growing rhubarb and it's coming along nicely - but why can't I harvest this first year? All the books say to leave the first year alone .... but I want to make chutney! Also what do I do with it? let it rot down?  pick it and throw away? 

Help please  :think

Offline garden guru

• Administrator
      • View Profile
Re: Rhubarb
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 08:00:41 PM »
hello shirl.
the reason they say do not pull in the first year is so that all the leaves can feed the crown and help in root production. as the leaves start to die back in the autumn and the stems start to flop, pull them from the crown and discard. next year pull just some of the stems, probably about a third, and use, leave the rest on the plant, again to put energy back in to the crown. by year 3 you should be able to have a good harvest.
if you pull some now for eating all that will happen is that the crown will remain small due to a lack of food making material, so will take a lot longer to grow to a good size.

Offline shirl

• Starter
      • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2015, 09:00:38 AM »
Thank you Paul, our rhubarb is in a large pot, is it ok to leave it there or should it be in the ground? All new to me this one!

Offline garden guru

• Administrator
      • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2015, 12:11:34 PM »
hello shirl,
rhubarb are very hungry feeders, and need a good drink, the crown of the rhubarb will grow to a good size, so you will have to keep repotting up in to slightly bigger pots. where as if you plant it in the ground you will not have to worry, just when it gets to big you can dig it up and split it. but you then will have to leave it for a year to re-establish. also if you decide to plant it out remember that the leaf coverage can be quite a size and over shade other plants

Advert